Monday, May 19, 2008

Painted Lady Butterflies





Several months ago Daesha saw a really neat thing on TV that she just really wanted. It is a butterfly habitat. If you haven't seen this before, here is a quick explanation. You mail in money and 2 weeks later you get two jars with 5 larvae in each. And a mesh cage. As time goes on you get to watch the larvae get bigger and bigger until they make a chrysalid and then they emerge as butterflies! It really was fun to watch and really fun for Daesha to learn just how this process works. Every time the commercial would come on she would have me run in to watch it with her and exclaim the whole time how neat it would be to get that!



So last week we had lots of fun watching the butterflies drink from oranges we placed in their cages and letting them crawl on our hands. These butterflies only live 2 to 4 weeks. One died so we decided it was time to let them go. So we went outside and I demonstrated to Daesha how to grab them without hurting them. As the first one flew off out of sight Daesha began to cry. She cried as I took the rest out one by one and let it fly away. It was pretty dramatic for her to let her butterflies go.



The next morning I went into Daesha's room to check on her lizards and the little one, Stich. Was dead. Oh great! I thought. I don't think she can handle loosing more pets. But she was surprisingly ok. She didn't cry. I had a small jewelry box which we buried in the flower garden. As Daesha was digging she found a worm and put that in the box too. Our first pet burial and I am sure that there will be many more to come.

2 comments:

The Perry Family said...

Everyone is getting these butterfly thingees. I guess I better join the crowd b/c my kids want it too! haha so neat!

Bret Bushman Family said...

I have never heard of that what a fun thing...what a sad picture of Daesha, I think that is a great learning experience as well.