Friday, September 21, 2012

Keegan Goes To Kindergarten

Last night I heard small quiet sobs coming from Keegans room. I went in to see what was wrong. He told me that he was nervous about going to school. I had a long talk with him about nice bus drivers, nice teachers, and all the fun they will have at school. I told him that it was ok to be nervous. That Daesha was even a little nervous her first day too. He settled down and went to sleep but I sat in bed for a long time worried it was going to be a difficult morning until I finally drifted into my own slumber.
The next morning Keegan was the first to wake up. (as usual) And he always is up way too early for me so as I catch a few more minutes of sleep he always goes and watches the morning cartoons. Before I knew it I heard Daesha's alarm go off. We both rolled out of bed and met in the hallway. When I saw Keegan he was all dressed in his new clothes for school even though he didn't go until 12:30. As Daesha went out the door she called out "See you at school Keegan!"

At 12:20 Keegan let me take a few pictures. He didn't seem too nervous (he gave me great big smiles right on cue) then we walked to his bus stop. I held his little hand on the way, I could tell he was very nervous because he didn't talk my ear off and I have never felt his hand so sweaty before!!! Poor guy.

The most heart breaking picture I took was the moment the bus pulled up. His face looks like he just dropped a load in his pants. My heart skipped a beat because I could feel his fear. I walked him up to the bus where a bus volunteer had a clipboard with a list of all the kindergateners. Once she marked off his name she stuck a sticky name tag on his backpack with bus and teacher info on it. The lady was very sweet to Keegan and he climbed right up into the bus and sat right behind the busdriver. I qas very proud of Keegan being so brave. I took a quick picture of him on the bus and waved goodbye as it drove away. I was so releived that all went well and then I realized that this was the last time I would put my child on the bus for the first time.

Why do I have a knot in my throat? That knot didn't go away until he came bounding through the front door with his sister, smiling ear to ear. Even though he didn't have much to say about his teacher, his classroom, or the kids in his class I could see that he was happy with the way the day ended.





No comments: