Monday, September 14, 2009

AMEN!

Childrens prayers are pretty much the funniest thing ever! Daesha says some pretty funny things that could be considered inappropriate to say in a prayer. But she is so sincere and is really thankful for Dora bandaids, aqua globes, or that her Mom was nice that day. Right now Keegan just likes to mumble while someone else says the prayer. He will be saying his own soon, which I am sure will be entertaining.
Last Saturday Keegan gave us all something to smile about at our dinner prayer. I am pretty sure I am not the only mother to a little boy who loves food! Just a few months ago we had a difficult time getting Keegan to NOT eat his food before the blessing was said. We started holding his plate aside until the prayer was done but that didn't work very well. He would yell "GIMEE IT" during the whole prayer. And when Daesha said it she would go on extra long just to make her brother yell more. Then he made some improvement and would take a mouth full right as we would begin the prayer and then fold his arms. It's a slow process with him but he is doing better. Some days he pushes his food away and waits. Some days he is too hungry to wait and he just simply refuses to stop. Last night was one of those times. He started scarffing the food down, this was my clue that I wasn't going to force him and so I began the prayer without waiting for him to fold his arms. I said a very quick blessing on the food, since his chewing was a bit distracting. As we all said Amen, Keegan started to cry. His mouth chuck full of chicken strips and french fries. Then came the drool as he said, "Prayer again". I said ok but you can't eat FIRST. Swallow your food and we will pray again. So the 3 of us waited for him to finish his mouth full of food and then fold his arms. And I said the prayer again. It was even word for word. I rolled my eyes at Ted thinking to myself. This is SO not how a prayer is done. Not realizing that my prayer was SO not the way a prayer should be SAID. Ted started to laugh and pointed out my pathetic prayer. Thanks Ted for laughing at my prayer. It's good to have another adult remind me that I don't have to pray like one of the kids.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That is so funny!!! You have two little cuties. I loved how Keegan and Megan were playing together on Sunday.