Friday, September 4, 2009

Loving Memories

21 years ago today my mother passed away from a heart attack. I was 13 years old. That day is so vivid to me. I remember that Sunday morning like it was yesterday. I remember my brother waking me that morning. I also remember running down the stairs to see the paramedics sending her body in the air as they were trying to start her heart up again. I immediately ran out the door to my best friends house. I was crying as I woke her from her sleep. She asked me what was wrong and all I could say was, "I have to get out of here, will you come with me?" So we ran 5 blocks to the elementary school. We went to the swings and all I did was cry. We never said a word. Once I decided it was time to go back home we talked as we walked back. Trisha was my best friend and she was exactly who I needed to talk to that morning. She went home and so did I. By then my sister had gone to the hospital and came back to the house. Once my sister had said that my Mom was gone was the last vivid memory I have. I had slipped into a dream like state of mind. Everything was foggy, that lasted about a week. It was a horrible time in my life. And it was the most special time in my life too. It didn't take long to feel the intense love that surrounded me and my brothers and sister. Having the experience of loosing a Mother at such an age when a girl NEEDS her Mom was well... awesome. I felt strengthened when I should have been at my weakest. My knowledge in God and Jesus Christ seemed to grow too. I am happy with how my life has turned out. Pretty sure I never would have been close to my sister (who took me in) I would have never gone to American Fork High. I never would have met my amazing husband. And on and on.


Anyway, on this day I like to remember my Mom and all the wonderful things she was.

She was born June 1, 1943. In LaPort, Indiana. She has 1 sister. She was married to Joseph Bushnell in 1959. They had my oldest brother Cory and then my Sister Val born to them. Then later divorced. My Mom met and married my Dad in December of 67. My brother David and lastly I joined the family. My Mom and Dad divorced in 1978.

She was good at keeping a journal. She was lonely but I never knew it. She was always hugging me and let me climb on her lap and hold me right up till I was 13 years old. I always held her hand, even in public. We had a little game where she would squeeze my hand twice I would have to squeeze hers back that many times plus one. This would continue till one uf us lost count or got distracted. She was really funny and had a talent in telling me stories about her made up affair with Tom Selleck. I used to watch Mystery Theater with her every night. Man. I hated that show. And she was the best shopping buddy ever. Yup, That's were I get it from. We would spend hours shopping. And most days never buy a thing. I miss her a lot. And can't wait to see her again.

The night before she died she took me for the 1st time to Swiss Days in Midway. We had so much fun. So tomorrow I am going there with my kids.


My Mom hated camera's she was never in front of the lens. This is a picture I have of my Mom and Dad In California before I was born. It was January 1972.



I know it doesn't seem important to you reading this but I decided I wanted to have this in my blog book. It's a letter she wrote to me just months before she passed away. I hope it's readable.



7 comments:

Jeff and Kira said...

Wow, I loved reading this. What I wonderful woman. I wish I had gotten the chance to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Chandra, Thank you so much for putting this post on your blog. I was thinking a lot about Mom yesterday. I was even talking to Chris Kaline about her tonight. What a very special Mom we have. Love, Cory

Bret Bushman Family said...

I remember that day and being told what had happened...thank you for sharing your feelings...you do come from an amazing family.

Kim said...

I loved reading this, and I love how your life turned out. I would have never met you 21 years ago, if things would have been different. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

Lovely post about your mother. I agree she has an amazing daughter. Thanks for making me blubber. :)

Anonymous said...

Chandra, oh my goodness, what a terrible loss. I am so sorry to hear about your mother's passing, that must have been such a challenging time of your life. I'm glad you're taking this time to talk about it because it so helps with grieving. That's so neat that she was a great journaler because you have a chance to know her heart, even now.

Jennifer Bracken said...

I never knew how your mom died or when or anything. I enjoyed reading this. I was crying the whole time. I can not imagine what you went through.