Monday, September 21, 2009

Our Garden




Fall is here and that means the garden is done. I am sad to have this season pass. It was really fun taking care of our very first garden. Promise you won't laugh... This is our 1st attempt at a garden. It's not the prettiest garden in town but we were very surprised that we could get anything to grow in our infested tumble weed yard. The dang things just keep growing back!!


So we had a heck of a time keeping the weeds out of the garden. We pretty much gave up by the end of August. The garden was thriving by then anyway.


We planted WAY TOO MUCH zuccini and squash. We had 3 differnt kinds of squash! Why? I don't know. But this gave me the oppurtunity to search for new recipe's using zuccini and squash. A friend gave me this delicious zuccini recipe. SO GOOD! Click here for the recipe.


Our poor pumpkins didn't make it. They literally died in just one day. And our cabbage got a really gross bug too. But everything else did great!!!


We got 8 wonderful watermelon. Seriously the sweetest I have EVER tasted! And our cantaloupe was to die for! Other things in our garden included lettuce, onion, jalepino, cucumber, carrots, and raspberries. We also have enough string beans and peas to last us the entire winter!


My favorite thing was pulling the carrots out of the mud. It was really fun to do. I had never done that before! Daesha and I loved pulling them up while flinging mud and laughing at the ones that were funny shaped.


dumb thing.. we didn't plant corn or tomatos. Something we won't forget next year.



Acorn squash.. ya, we didn't know what to do with it either...






Our pumpkins the day they died :-(






This is only a 1/4 of the carrots!


Whoops let this grow too big! (the zuccini-not Keegan, although he's too big too)

The zuccini was out of control. We couldn't give them away!

2 comments:

Jeff and Kira said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! I have no gardening skills whatsoever!

Heidi said...

ha ha! I loved this post. Impressive garden and nice pictures. The kids looks so big!!