Friday, April 26, 2013

Smoking Kills

Earnest Hemingway wrote: Before you act, listen. Before you react, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you criticize, wait.

So before you judge me on these photos please read my thoughts and opinion below.


Parenting is hard and very stressful. So with my personality I have found that some light hearted teaching moments work for us. This particular day we went to the mall with some friends. Went to the candy store and I picked up the box of candy cigarettes. Feeling nostalgic I remembered when I got these a few times when I was little. Clearly these paper wrapped gum cigarettes aren't the best candy made. But I remember it was funny that you could blow the powder sugar and make it look like smoke. I took them to show the other mom we were with. We both laughed at the stupidity of the candy. The girls thought they sounded fun. As a parent we had a totally different outlook of the candy and didn't think seeing our kids with it sticking out of their mouths would be fun at all. But as I looked at the other mom ready to say no, we shared a thought. Without saying a word to each other we agreed to let them get the candy. Then as soon as we walked out of the store, other mom started to ask the kids about smoking. And we talked about all the bad things that can happen if you start smoking. The girls were completely engaged in our conversation and had already most definitely decided they were never going to smoke. The one thing I wanted to mention was that the other mom we were with is a smoker. Her testimony and experience was both sad and also informative. I know it will be something Daesha will remember. I was grateful that this parenting experience happened.
By the way, blowing the sugar smoke is still funny!

(I actually wrote this next part first. Then decided all I wanted to say was the part you just read. But still felt it was just as important. So I'm leaving it instead of deleting it)

I hope that my children will never start this horrible habit. Both my children know our expectations about cigarettes. They know the danger and that it causes cancer and even death. We aren't the only ones telling them this. They hear it at school, church, and TV. But on the flip side they are seeing it glorified on TV and they don't have friends that smoke now, but a few of their friends parents do (which means in a few years it's highly possible their friends will be too). I of course know all of the parents that my kids are friends with. Most of them are my friends. So here is were I take a "radical" stance in teaching my kids. I never say NEVER. It didn't work with me and it doesn't work with most kids. I try to teach by example first. And then I hope and pray that they will make good choices. Of course they are still way too young to be making big choices now so I make sure they understand the why we feel the way we do. I don't want my children to ever judge or think someone is bad because they smoke. The actual cigarette is bad.
Kids will be kids and ask many questions. Which I believe to be a good start of a great parent child relationship. If I can keep that relationship open and make them feel that they can ask anything while I remain as cool as possible (kinda hard for me, because believe me I have wanted to scream "WHO TOLD YOU THAT!") helps build trust for both sides.



No comments: